Arora Appleby. Powered by Blogger.

Mindful eating



I usually write on the bus to work in my little paper chase notepad, which is amazing for left handers 'cause the way its bound doesn't restrict your hand at the start of the page so you can fill ALL the lines rather than having a huge margin gap due to the binding and your hand getting in the way. But for today, I am in bed, ill, so I thought I'll just substitute my note pad for my laptop and write on here instead - though I do prefer hand writing over typing. Basically, what I'm saying is that it might be a little disorganised and confusing because it's straight from the mind with no draft to copy from.


I've always been paranoid about getting diabetes. It doesn't help when I believe if you put something into the universe, no matter what it is - good or bad, the universe will say yes and said thing will happen. So I've been getting more and more paranoid about getting diabetes, mainly because all I ever eat is junk food; I am no stranger to consuming 3 big chocolate bars, 5 cups of sugary tea and a family bag of dorritos all in one night. It might sound stupid because I have quite a slim physique but surely all this crap isn't good for me. 

Up until a few weeks ago I acted no different, just I would go to bed panicking thinking I wasn't going to wake up in the morning because ow what's that tingle in my arm and omg my feet are numb I'm going to die I've literally eaten myself to death. It's stupid but it's how my mind worked.
To reassure myself and to fight off those idiotic thoughts I have started to count my sugar intake.
It's fucking surprising how much sugar we actually consume on a day to day basis. 1 Mars bar has around 30 grams of sugar (4 grams = 1 teaspoon of sugar) - so basically, one teeny tiny Mars bar has 7.5 teaspoons of sugar in it. One large bar of Dairy milk has around 50 grams of sugar in it which is like 12 teaspoons. I used to eat 3 of them every other night pretty much so in an hour I would consume 32 teaspoons of sugar on top of the 2 sugars in my 10,000 cups of tea a day, and all the sugar which is added into normal food too. (I'm not counting those with my intake because I'll end up not eating anything out of fear so yanno) 
I also recently learnt that when you drink alcohol, instead of hitting a certain part of your brain like recreational drugs, your spine literally acts like a straw to your brain and like a sponge, your entire brain absorbs it all. When you really think about it, that is horrific! Seriously, every nerve ending and blood cell and whatever else pretty much drowns in alcohol  - no wonder hangovers feel like shit.

I know I don't have to lose weight, this isn't what this is about. I know I have a slim figure and I look okay on the outside, but what about inside?
I think we all have to start being a little more mindful about what we're putting into our bodies. The amount of sugar and salt in our food isn't good and before long we're going to have serious health issues because what, it tasted good at the time?

Ps. If anyone knows any recipes for healthy meals (which preferably don't contain vegetables) hit me up because I literally have no clue.   

No comments