Arora Appleby. Powered by Blogger.

What does success mean to you?



Success comes in many different forms. Success is all about perception.

Some days, I feel successful because I've just about managed to get out of bed. Some days I feel successful because I've forced a piece of fruit down my throat. I congratulate myself for not over thinking or worrying about minuscule things. I sometimes forget to acknowledge and celebrate the littler things in life - in reality I should thank my knees for not buckling every time I stand, I should eulogize my eyes for being able to see the beauty and magic which surrounds us, I should salute my hands and feet for taking me places and enabling me to write this.

On a larger scale, to me, success is being able to live comfortably doing what I love to do, having more good days than bad, living with my love in a cosy place we call home and experiencing the world - different cultures, different thoughts, different opinions. Success to me is saying yes to all things I wish to do in spite of my fear and anxiety. 
Life is hard when you fixate on the smallest of things - over thinking and talking yourself out of experiences you know you will enjoy, because what about all these things that could go wrong?! It's funny how the person who wants you to progress and achieve great things is the same person who stops you in your tracks with "what if's" and "no, that's out of your comfort zone, you're not doing that!" -  it's even funnier that it's yourself doing those things. Overcoming those thoughts, even just for one day, one experience, is a success in my eyes.
Success is not a checklist, nor is it achievements that are engraved in stone. You make your own definition of success. Whether it's owning a house, having a family, becoming the manager in your job, passing an exam, learning an instrument or becoming fluent in another language. Success is perception, and everyone's is different. 

Be true to your heart, be true to your soul. Congratulate and celebrate yourself for the simplest of things. Rejoice over the fact you're alive and you've got so much to offer the world. - Arora Appleby

What does success mean to you? 


6 comments

  1. Love this post so much! I've never been one to set myself up to be 'conventionally' successful. I too just love being able to do what I love and lead a happy life for it, but at the same time I respect those who choose to aim a little higher and appreciate everyone's different!

    Lottie x
    www.inrestlesswonder.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you lovely! Yeah that's it - everyone's different so just do you and set your own standard of success! xxx

      Delete
  2. This was so needed and really useful, thank you! I often get down about not being successful and even though I see success as my happiness within myself and what I do, I often always find something to worry about and not really appreciate my past achievements or even the little achievements. I think learning to look at those as steps toward success - no matter how small they may be - could really help me feel more proud of myself and help overcome my self-esteem and anxiety.

    I completely agree that success means so many different things to different people and it's interesting and important to realise this.

    Lovely post, Thank You!

    JosieVictoriaa // Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so gld you found it useful Josie! Yeah I get you - what I've started to do when I'm not feeling my best, is write down every good thing I've done (even if it's just making someone a tea when I REALLY didn't want to) and everything that makes me happy - it reminds me how blessed I actually am and how great of a person I am too xxx

      Delete
  3. If I had to define what success means to me in one sentence I'd say: success means being able to live my life doing what I love to do :) x

    Sara’sChapters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaas that's great! I completely agree too, Sara! xxx

      Delete